Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Essentials for a good night's sleep

I have noticed that the older I get the less I tolerate Rod's cell phone calls at midnight or his 2am TV watching. So, I have come up with the "essentials" list of what I need every night so I can have a good night's sleep.


Ear plugs are a must. The foam kind are the best because I can squeeze them and they slip into my ear canal just right, blocking all the noises out. Don't let them drop on the floor because your pet will eat them. Something about the ear wax that makes them tasty, I guess.


Eye shades will block the flickering lights from the TV. ESPN is especially horrible with all the sport scenes. That will drive me absolutely insane without these handy shades. I'm thinking about blocking the ESPN channels altogether.



Good mattress. I have still yet to find a mattress that has a place holder for my boobs and stomach when I sleep on my stomach. I could make millions with that invention, I'm convinced. I mean, simple cut outs into the mattress...how difficult is that, mattress maker men!


Fan in my room is a must. Especially in our bedroom. With the old windows letting all the hot air in during the summer, the fan will keep the room nice and cool. It also helps to block out the annoying snoring noises, if I happen to lose my ear plugs.

Yes, I have spent numerous nights looking like this woman here. If this is also your story, ear plugs definitely help. You may even try to stuck the ear plugs into his nose, or stuff the mouth full of them. Kick on the side of his ribs seem to lessen the snoring, as well.

The most important essential is that my husband goes on a business trip and I don't need ear plugs or eye shades, and my slumber will be peaceful for at least a little while...until the hubby comes home and I need to dig out the whole arsenal again. But for this week, I get to sleep without distractions. Ahhhh.


5 comments:

Monica said...

Amen friend!! I have the same night-stand equipment for when the hubby is in town, I really can't live without any of it! I have priced our wireless earphones so he can listen to the tv as loud as he wants and I don't have to watch speed vision!!! Anyway happy slumber.....mine will only last one more night and then he is home again for the next few days!!

Anonymous said...

Are you TOOOOO funny. That is hilarious!!! Katie

Sant Family said...

I am not exaggerating when I say that earplugs saved my marriage AND kept me out of jail for attempted murder, although I am sure if any of the jurors heard my husband snore, they would have acquitted me.

Bilary said...

I like the mattress idea. That is just one more thing on the LOOOONG list of things that men definitely design...

And I hear you on the fan thing. Bill can't stand it because I like my room COLD when I sleep, but he hates to freeze. (The girl:)) But I have a fan on every night - even in the winter.

That is nice to have a bed to yourself for a while. Sprawl out and enjoy it!

Kari said...

Great information!!! Lucky for me we're fairly sleep compatible ;)