I woke up at 5am this morning to make donuts for May Day. May Day was a huge celebration in Finland when I was growing up. The traditional foods for the day are definitely donuts and sima (fermented citrus drink), hot dogs and potato salad. To follow this tradition, that's what the Larsens' are having for dinner tonight minus the sima. I didn't make any this year....or in the last 22 years.
I miss the May Day celebration. There are no communists marching on the streets parading their red flags. No drunks wandering around. No men's choir singing at the city hall building. Nobody wearing their high school graduation hats. No balloons. Just a regular day here in the U.S.
Happy May Day for those who happen to celebrate it!
2 comments:
One blog posting too late: I love the plumeria, also. If you get it to grow and flower I will be jealous. The plumeria is one of my favorite things about Hawaii. My nose is constantly in the flower. But since we are talking donuts, why didn't I know this tradition? Sounds like one I should begin. Remind me next year!
I want to come celebrate May Day at your house! YUM!
Post a Comment